Thursday, November 25, 2010

Outside the Box

So here is an idea for you... everybody is comfortable doing things that they are used to. I guess that is why it is called a comfort zone. I am going to put in a plug for this amazing book that I have had the privilege to read, while at the same time trying to explain why it has changed a perspective for me.
The book: LIFE OF PI
The author: Yann Martel
The perspective: The boy, Pi, in this book, has many deep convictions-- a love of nature and a love of animals, born of his native Hindu religion, and also of his childhood spent in a zoo (his dad was a zookeeper). But, he discovers things, and keeps an open mind about them, and learns to love and appreciate these things for the beauty that they hold. Not only does he come to realize that Richard Parker is not only a dangerous bengal tiger, but he is a creation of God, a brother to Pi. He discovers the beautiful story of Christ, the ultimate sacrifice, and learns to accept that beautiful story. He learns the devotion of the Islam religion and rejoices in the simple loyalty that its practicers experience.
Not only are these "feel-good" life lessons, but they end up becoming essential to Pi's survival, on an adventure, but a life-threatening situation, that probably will always one-up your best story.

Imagtine that. Dropping the comfort zone and learning acceptance becomes essential for Pi's survival. And now... how has your perception changed?

1 comment:

  1. I loved Life of Pi for exactly that reason. We were told to read it for school and, while watching my classmates read, I saw my peers open up in the smallest of ways, learning to accept the people around them - and, in some cases, learning to accept themself.

    I know you wrote this two years ago. I just wanted to let you know that I approve of the message.

    ~Kei

    ReplyDelete